Monday, 22 March 2010

Monday 22nd March

Soaked form the morning rain I arrived at the centre and settled quickly.
I presented my two final pieces, which I was a little apprehensive about because over the weekend I had failed to make contact with Paul & Franny (due to the Biennial's server being down since friday), meaning that this was the first they had seen of any flyer development and the first of any of the poster design work. However my designs went down well with positive feedback from both Paul & Franny. They agreed with my font choice and the concept behind it.

The designs were still missing the Arena Housing Logo (must be included), which was a pain because it meant me sending emails and making phone-calls to chase a logo that should have been delivered to me over a week ago, ideally we wanted to get the designs to print today so that they were guaranteed to be ready for distribution by Friday, but in this field of work things never seem to go as planned, and progress is being stifled by a lack of communication/pro-activity.

It's now 5:00pm and still no response from my emails, so I have resorted to the internet for the logo, not the greatest quality (quite pixelated) but still it doesn't need to be big on the design, so it will have to do. If I receive a better version over the next few hours or tomorrow morning, I can easily switch it over.

Today I have witnessed a very professional working environment, things seem to be getting busier each week I attend, Im enjoying the professional vibe, the staff seem content but extremely driven, the reason being that there are a number of deadlines approaching for the 'On the Streets' project, including the launch of the 'On the Street' project and the launch of Ed Purver's video installation called 'In Residence' (mentioned in an earlier post), Connecting Communities Day - a Free Family Fun Day and the Talent Show. Plus several more high calibre events.

It's odd, I haven't been attending here very long, but I can feel a real sense of acceptance and appreciation for my help, this may be because at uni I am doing it for myself and therefore what I put in is what I get out, there isn't a great sense of appreciation - I mean why would there be? But at the placement I am doing it for a large number of people, many people who I will never know or even see, it feels good, I feel like a segment in a massive chain, a chain that without my input or my segment in place would essentially collapse, (maybe not for long but you get the picture), all in all I feel valued. I also spoke to Franny today about my uni course for about half an hour, it was good to talk to a working professional other than my tutors about my progress and where I think or would like things to be heading, at the moment there is so much going on at uni, you never really get a chance to sit down and talk so it was a refreshing change.

The designs are now at a complete stage, I have emailed them around to the appropriate people, hopefully they'll be a response by the end of the day or by tomorrow at-least, so I can move onto the printing stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment